The Gathering Place Organic Rooibos Tea
Rooibos tea is made from the fermented leaves of the rooibos plant (Aspalathus Linearis) which grows in only one small area of the world — the Cedarberg Mountains of South Africa. Rooibos (pronounced roy-boss) was first used by the indigenous people of this desert region near Capetown, but it was not until 1968 that Rooibos began to be studied for its health promoting properties.
Harvey family with Rooibos farmers, father and son, Frans and Bertus
Rooibos is a naturally caffeine free tea containing a myriad of minerals including calcium, iron, magnesium, and potassium, in addition to 17 known antioxidants. There are only trace amounts of tannic acid in Rooibos, which means it doesn't deplete the iron in our bodies and never gets bitter, no matter how long it brews.
With its slightly sweet and full-bodied flavour, Rooibos has gained popularity in North America over the last 10 years. Many people have given up coffee and black tea because of the robust flavour and distinctive health benefits of Rooibos.
Rooibos is available in both loose leaf and tea bag form >>
How to Prepare
Loose leaf Rooibos is best prepared by simmering the tea for ten minutes in a pot of water on the stove. Brewing the tea increases the antioxidant value, flavour,
and colour of the tea and (most happily) the tea never gets bitter. Rooibos can also be made in a teapot and then poured through a strainer, or by using a tea ball or tea filter. Use 1 teaspoon of tea leaves or one tea bag per cup. Rooibos also makes an excellent iced tea and brewed Rooibos is a nutritious and delicious addition to many recipes
The Gathering Place Rooibos comes directly from an organic farm in the Cedarberg Mountains of South Africa. This farm was the first Rooibos operation to be certified organic and the first to export Rooibos from the country.
The grower is a third generation farmer who only replants Rooibos bushes when absolutely necessary and minimally tills the delicate semi arid ecosystem. This is essential to the plants' survival and the farm's sustainability for generations to come. Other conventional Rooibos farms in the region do not take the same care and often replant annually and use machines to harvest. All of this creates excessive erosion of top soil.
The Gathering Place Rooibos farmer hand harvests the plants when the Rooibos is at its peak of flavour and nutritional content. This factor combined with a stringent fermentation, sorting, and drying process ensures the highest quality Rooibos you will ever taste.
The Gathering Place Trading Company is the only importer to North America of this particularly high quality Rooibos.
The following are some of the many health benefits of drinking Rooibos:
- naturally caffeine free
- relaxes central nervous system
- contains iron and due to its low tannin content, actually helps to increase the absorption of iron in the body
- contains 50% more antioxidants than green tea; these antioxidants can slow aging, help build immunity, and help ward off cancer, heart disease, and stroke
- rich in flavonoids including quercetin which relieves colic and stomach cramps in babies and also stomach ulcers, nausea, constipation, and heartburn in adults
- scientifically proven to help with diabetes, high blood pressure, irritability, mild depression, liver diseases, cataracts, insomnia, and headaches
- contains iron, potassium, zinc, manganese, and sodium which can help restore the body's equilibrium after strenuous exercise (these minerals will also help you recoup from a hangover!)
- contains alpha hydroxy acid and zinc for healthy, smooth skin and can help heal skin irritations like itchy skin, eczema, sunburns, diaper rash, and acne when applied topically
Click here to purchase Rooibos tea, Rooibos Chai, and Yebo!