Gathering Place Values
Gathering Place Trading Company was created by Lovena and Ryan Harvey in 2003. Based out of Cortes Island in the beautiful Gulf Islands of British Columbia, Lovena and Ryan are inspired daily by the vibrant community and pristine beauty of their home. Their business is rooted in shared values: organic food, family, and community. They have direct relationships with all their growers and believe in sustainable farming practices. They strive to give back where they can and leave as light an ecological footprint as possible.
Gathering Place Trading's Mission
To bring the highest quality, organic, ethically crafted, and fairly traded products directly to our customers.
To shake the hands of each of our farmers in developing countries and inspect the farms and products produced ourselves.
To package them using recyclable packaging and eco friendly inks produced locally.
To give back 1% of our profit back to children in need in the countries of origin.
To honour and protect our planet.
With your help we are
"brewing change with every cup!"
All Gathering Place products are harvested by hand and are certified organic. The company uses minimal packaging, 100% recycled paper, and soy inks whenever possible.
Lovena and Ryan give back 1% of their profits to children in need in each country they import from. They volunteered with Help Lesotho on their last trip to Africa and continue to donate to this organization (www.helplesotho.ca
). In addition, they donate further funds to a grassroots Safe House for abused children in the township of Nomzano in South Africa, they helped to create.
Recently Lovena went to India to meet their spice farmers and visited Vanashree Residential School for orphans and marginalized children. Now 1% of their profits from spice sales goes to this incredible school!
Please see Giving Back
for more details on these projects.
Some examples of our values in action:
- Gathering Place salt products are from a family business who ensures fair wages are paid to their employees and also provide child care and educational opportunities.
- Gathering Place Rooibos tea is from a farmer who is a caring stewards of the land. The tea is hand harvested to prevent erosion ensuring the semi arid landscape is preserved and the natural biodiversity remains.
- Gathering Place Spices are carefully sourced from an Organic Farmers' Co-op in India, run by a non profit organization that helps educate and improve the lives of these farmers.
- The Yerba Mate used in Gathering Place Organic Yebo! is direct from a sustainable community in Brazil.
- At Gathering Place we employ local printers, designers, and packing room staff in order to support the local Island economies.
- Gathering Place products are shipped to Canada by freighter, not plane, reducing the greenhouse gas emissions that lead to climate change.
- Gathering Place uses recycled boxes and packing materials to ship our products.